Another war is fast taking shape in the Indian media and entertainment industry.
JioStar is reported to have filed a case against Zee Entertainment Enterprises Limited (ZEEL) for broadcasting several Bollywood movies whose rights are held by the Reliance-Disney joint venture. JioStar said the broadcasts were unauthorised.
Reuters reported that the legal action was initiated on May 4 by JioStar, which filed a case with the Delhi High Court Legal Services Committee.
In its complaint, the Reliance-led company claimed that Zee had telecast several Bollywood films last year without having the authorisation to broadcast them.
The company said Zee telecast 12 films around 20 times last year without having the rights. These films starred actors like Shah Rukh Khan, Aamir Khan and Amitabh Bachchan.
In its plea, JioStar called Zee a “habitual infringer” and alleged the broadcaster was indulging in unauthorised broadcast of films whose rights were with the Reliance-led JV.
ZEEL representatives have been asked to appear before the Delhi High Court Legal Services Committee, which deals with mediation and dispute resolution matters.
The legal action has followed another fight between the two groups last month. In April, Zee had blamed JioStar for using its copyrighted music without authorisation. Zee said JioStar used the music after the expiry of the licensing agreement.
Zee has sought damages worth $3 million in that case.
The cases could be seen as a fallout of the increasing competition in the Indian media and entertainment industry, where different players are battling for rights, revenue, and eyeballs.
